Friday, March 4, 2011

and what didn't we do?

Such a long day! We woke up extra early today to catch a bus in Santiago to go to El Museo de la Memoria y Los Derechos Humanos (Museum of Memory and Human Rights). It was essentially all about the human rights violations that occurred during the Pinochet dictatorship (1973-1990). It is so easy in day to day life to not think about death and torture and human rights violations but it happened and it is a huge part of Chile's history. We saw videos of people talking about being tortured, a bed that people were tied to  to receive electric shocks and diagrams of water boarding. 

outside of the museum


a wall with a picture for each person who
was "disappeared" or murdered 

[Mom, skip this paragraph]
Honestly, I cried when I read a letter that a little girl wrote to her dad who was being detained and tortured. It essentially said, "Dear Dad, I miss you so much. I haven't seen you in so long but don't worry, I promise I won't forget you. Mom told me that maybe if I study hard, you'll come home. I've been trying so hard Dad! I study so much. Mom keeps crying but she tells me that it's nothing. When you get home, we can play all the time. I love you and miss you."

After that very intense morning, our class and professors went out for a lunch of typical Chilean food. We actually went to a restaurant that Anthony Bourdain went to for his show No Reservations and really liked. I finally got to try terremotos! And they were quite delicious. It was white wine with Pineapple sorbet. We sat and chatted and then got serenaded by a mariachi band while our professors sang along. Very entertaining.




After lunch, we got back on the bus toward Valpo and I woke up to hear people talking about buying tickets to the Shakira concert this Thursday. Come on guys, it has to be sold out by now. Turns out it wasn't. And they talked me into buying a ticket to a Shakira concert. I figure life is short. Maybe I'll learn to shake my hips?

so soon!

2 comments:

  1. Are you find pizza shop near me .Today, Coneizza is about much more than cone in pizzas.From freshly sauteed pastas & delicious appetizers to mocktails, desserts, burgers, we have a wide range for you to feast on.
    Right when we take that first bite of warm coneizza crust topped with tomato sauce and cheese, our taste buds are stimulated by glutamate, and so we're hooked and want more. Some common pizza toppings like mushrooms can even add more glutamate, enhancing the flavor.
    pizza shop near my location
    Best Pizza Delivery Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been long serving in the industry of 3D Exterior Rendering Services, which is now helping our consumers to increase the chances of success of projects by high-impact, realistic, 3D images, and our 3D design demo displays. When it comes to the reliability factor, we always stay ahead of the pack because of out transparent concept. To understand our working method to deliver you our exterior renderings, take your cursor down with the page.
    3D Exterior Rendering Services
    3D Architectural Exterior Rendering
    Architectural Exterior Services
    Architectural Exterior Rendering
    3D Exterior Rendering Company

    ReplyDelete