Wednesday, March 2, 2011

home already

It's midnight here and in Chile that is way to early to come home from a night out (even if it is a school night). My friends and I headed into Vina to try to find some terremotos tonight only to discover our little outdoor bar didn't serve them. Bummer. That's ok though because they did have strawberry mojitos. One more word that is different in Chile than the rest of the Spanish speaking world (Strawberry is frutilla here instead of fresa if you were wondering). Anyway, I was just about to order another round of drinks when our waitress told us they were closing. At 11:00? We weren't aiming to party but that is pretty early to close. I guess everyone is right that Valparaiso is the party city out of the two.

So we headed into the plaza to grab a taxi home and they have the craziest system here. They are called collective taxis or colectivos and they are taxis with set routes that you share with other people. Every route has a number on the roof so you jump in whatever taxi is headed toward your house (mine are 86 and 7) and cozy up with up to four other people. It's really hard to see the numbers from far away so I asked one of the colectivo drivers who was parked where to stand to hail my taxi and he told me he would take me straight there for a little extra. I asked how much but unfortunately, numbers are one thing I really need to work on.

He said 2800 but all I heard was the word thousand so I jumped in. Two dollars is a pretty good deal to be taken straight home! When we got to my house, I handed him 1000 pesos and he just looked at me like I was stupid. He then repeated 2800 to my disappointment and I handed over the money. I guess $5 still isn't too bad of a deal to avoid walking alone at night.

These aren't my pics but I google imaged it to give you an idea of what they look like and how hard it is to see the number and hail the right taxi when they're going fast!



5 comments:

  1. Craving for pizza? Why not give our all new pizza cones a try? Coneizza is the most loved destination and a popular "Best Pizza Places in Uttam Nagar". We started our glorious journey early this year with an aim to bring a revolutionary change by offering the foodies our special pizza cones that are easy to carry and delight every palate. For delivering a wide range of delicious pizzas, burgers, side meals, and the special super meals, we are counted among the 10 best pizza places in Delhi, Dwarka, Janakpuri, and other nearby locations.lets find:Best Pizza Places in Uttam Nagar.
    Best Pizza Places in Uttam Nagar
    pizza shop in Uttam Nagar
    Top 10 Best Pizza Places in Uttam Nagar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Architectural Animation is an integral part of Infrastructural constructions and real estate sector.you may visit 3D Architectural Rendering Company and It enables people to envisage their dreams in the most impressive manner and helps them observe a 3D view of their real estate investment.
    3D Architectural Rendering Services
    3D Architectural Rendering Company
    3D Architectural Services

    ReplyDelete
  3. With different choices, flavors, toppings, sizes and shapes, this Italian food has the heart of all. Moreover, you do not have to go to the place, with an order of pizza shop near my location, those hot and tasty pizzas will come to your doorsteps and meanwhile, you can enjoy the company of your dear ones.Best Pizza Delivery Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. With different choices, flavors, toppings, sizes and shapes, this Italian food has the heart of all. Moreover, you do not have to go to the place, with an order of pizza shop near my location, those hot and tasty pizzas will come to your doorsteps and meanwhile, you can enjoy the company of your dear ones.Best Pizza Delivery Near Me
    pizza shop near me
    pizza shop near me
    pizza shop near my location
    Best Pizza Delivery Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walkthrough Animation - VrayMax is a well-recognized 3D Walkthrough Animation Services in USA, Europe middle east;
    the Middle East, where you can avail 3D Architectural Walkthrough Services and 3D Walkthrough Animation Services for all Real Estate projects at pocket-friendly prices.Walkthrough Animation

    ReplyDelete