Monday, March 7, 2011

que linda eres

[Before this little story starts, I was no where near the earthquake yesterday so I love you all but no worrying. There aren't even tremors around here :) ]

...

Cultural differences all day long. Pirobos all day long. Now, what's a pirobo? It is a whistle or a comment or a movie line yelled from the rooftops at female passerbys. And I happen to live in the center of a bunch of construction sites so we have latin american culture (which totally accepts pirobos) plus construction workers. I can essentially leave my house in running clothes, with no makeup, rocking my afro to its fullest and still get whistled at at least twice on my five minute walk to the subway station. Please don't panic out there everyone who worries about me. These guys are harmless! Chileans are such such such nice people. Many of them just happen to yell at me.

So today, after spilling tomato juice all down my shirt and having disturbingly large hair, I had to come home from class and I think we may have actually set a pirobo record. Set this all aside for cultural difference number two.

Here (I'm not sure about the rest of Chile but in Valpo), smiling at someone is a sign that you have met and should therefore say hi. It is not something just thrown around between strangers. Out of habit, I smile at people as I run past them, walk past them, sit next to them on a bus, across from them on the metro. And they just stare back. It drives me crazy! We have even seen babies that don't smile back and that's just sad. Because of that, I love smiling at other gringos because it is their habit to also smile back and that makes me happy.

Where these two tie together... I was walking down the street after my new pirobo record about to turn in my neighborhood and I see this gringo walking out. I am so excited to smile. Not because he was at all cute but simply out of the cultural comfort I get from receiving a smile in return. It's surprising how much I miss that. So I smile! And what do I get in return... A completely straight face and "Que linda eres." Darn it, you're Chilean. Is a smile so much to ask for?

On a completely separate note... if you're reading this you probably have some level of interest in my day to day life so a quick tidbit. Between classes today, my friends and I went to a lebanese dessert place that one of them knew about. It was closed but after my friend stood on the fence and yelled "Julio" for a while, his friend/ roommate let us in. He is her host mom's boyfriend and he was actually very happy to have us. Even though the restaurant was closed, Vladimir (who is actually Chilean) gave us tea, coffee and empanadas! So yummy. When Julio returned, he played us a little guitar and informed us that he loved karaoke. And I know no better way to end lunch on a happy note than youtubing karaoke background music and singing Frank Sinatra as a group. What a funny way to spend our two hour lunch break :)


5 comments:

  1. Are you find pizza shop near me .Today, Coneizza is about much more than cone in pizzas.From freshly sauteed pastas & delicious appetizers to mocktails, desserts, burgers, we have a wide range for you to feast on.
    Right when we take that first bite of warm coneizza crust topped with tomato sauce and cheese, our taste buds are stimulated by glutamate, and so we're hooked and want more. Some common pizza toppings like mushrooms can even add more glutamate, enhancing the flavor.
    pizza shop near my location
    Best Pizza Delivery Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been long serving in the industry of 3D Exterior Rendering Services, which is now helping our consumers to increase the chances of success of projects by high-impact, realistic, 3D images, and our 3D design demo displays. When it comes to the reliability factor, we always stay ahead of the pack because of out transparent concept. To understand our working method to deliver you our exterior renderings, take your cursor down with the page.
    3D Exterior Rendering Services
    3D Architectural Exterior Rendering
    Architectural Exterior Services
    Architectural Exterior Rendering
    3D Exterior Rendering Company

    ReplyDelete
  3. With different choices, flavors, toppings, sizes and shapes, this Italian food has the heart of all. Moreover, you do not have to go to the place, with an order of pizza shop near my location, those hot and tasty pizzas will come to your doorsteps and meanwhile, you can enjoy the company of your dear ones.Best Pizza Delivery Near Me
    pizza shop near me
    pizza shop near me
    pizza shop near my location
    Best Pizza Delivery Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walkthrough Animation - VrayMax is a well-recognized 3D Walkthrough Animation Services in USA, Europe middle east;
    the Middle East, where you can avail 3D Architectural Walkthrough Services and 3D Walkthrough Animation Services for all Real Estate projects at pocket-friendly prices.Walkthrough Animation

    ReplyDelete
  5. To pick right pizza destination, have a quick check of Best Pizza Places in Uttam Nagar and you will get sorted results. Now, if you love experimenting with pizza and your taste, see the choices you will get from the outlets. Before you make your final choice, go for something that you have never tasted before.
    Best Pizza Places in Uttam Nagar
    Best Pizza Places in Dwarka
    Top 10 Best Pizza Places in Uttam Nagar

    ReplyDelete